Ephesians Part 9 "The Will's of God"
Intro: God's 2 Wills
-All Things to the Counsel of His Will
-Human Double Will. Ice cream and salad
-God's Two Wills. Moral and Sovereign
-Confusion abounds when we only know of 1 Will of God.
-Suffering: Past answers, Current Comfort, Prep for the Future
-Murder, Rape,Thievery, Child abuse, Sexual assault, Poverty, Divorce, Hurricanes, Earthquakes, -Tornados, Disease, Despair, Hopelessness. It goes on and on.
1. God's Moral Will (Revealed)
-Exodus 20: The 10 Commandments
-Whole OT Narrative portray's Israel breaking God's moral will.
-Luke 7:30 "But the Pharisees and the lawyers rejected the purpose of God for themselves, not having been baptized by him."
-Luke 13:34 "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often I would have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing!"
Worldview of the Person Who Only Knows of God's Moral Will
1. Human will is the deciding factor in everything. God has so many desires for you and the world if only people would co-operate. From Salvation to blessings in life, it's up to you. God desires these things but end the end your salvation and blessing is up to you.
2. Satan is truly free. He is the cause of all bad things in the world. God does not these bad things to happen but the Ruler of this world gets his way.
3. God's favor upon you is as solid as your ability to keep His moral law.
4. Nations are believed to be saved by God's moral law. Therefore Politics play a heavy role in your worldview.
2. Eph 1:11 God's Sovereign Will (Concealed)
-Natural/Weather: Ps. 135:6-7, Ps. 148:5-8, Amos 3:6, Is 45:4-7
-Animals: Ps. 104:21, Matt. 6:26, 10:29
-Humans: Gen. 45:7-8, Matthew 11:25, Rom 9:19-21.
-Satan: Job 1:6-12, Satan gets permission, 1 Sam. 16:14-23,18:10,19:9, 2 Cor. 12:7-8
-Suffering: 1 Pet. 2:21, 3:17, 4:19, Phil 1:29, Exodus 4:11.
-All things. Is 46:8-11
Worldview of the Person Who Only Know's of God's Sovereign Will
1. Human's choice is an illusion.
2. Satan is rarely mentioned or talked about. God basically does good and evil and we are all just pons in His master plan.
3. God's favor upon you gives you a pass to be a jerk or to be lazy in your pursuit of God.
4. Prayers are only prayers of submission. Passionate pleas of prayer for deliverance, healing, or direction are shunned.
The Cross of Christ is the Key
-Acts 2:22-23, Acts 4:27-28
-The conviction and crucification or Christ was done by lawless men.
This was the worst sin in the history of the world. He was innocent and righteous and God in the flesh.
-If God is big enough to be in charge of the worst sin ever committed and make it the most beautiful message in history then we can trust Him in our suffering knowing that He is in charge.
5 Comforts the Come From Holding Both Wills Together
1. We know by God's moral will that God hates and punishes evil. His wrath is building for all those who break His moral law. His sovereign so he has the ability to punish lawbreakers.
2. We can trust God's sovereign will even when his moral will is broken. God is ultimately in charge even of nations. Prov 21:1 "The king's heart is a steam of water in the hand of the Lord; he turns it where ever he will."
3. God will grow me up. Spiritual Growth comes through adversity. David said "It was good for me that I was afflicted, that I might learn your statutes." Ps. 119:71. And remember Paul's thorn brought humility.
4. We will experience God through suffering. Ransom in my lap Through our prayers and petitions we Get to sit in our Father's lap through pain.
5. Even though we break God's moral will daily, by His sovereign will the Word says "No one will snatch them from my Father's hand" Jn 10.